ridley pearson

Thursday, September 20, 2007

THE KINGDOM - film review

The Kingdom - film review

BEWARE of statements like "You've never seen anything like it." Because of course you have. With the preponderance of a twenty-four hour news cycle and the internet, there's not much any of us miss. But that said: The Kingdom, a film about three determined FBI agents working to identify and prosecute a terrorist cell inside Saudi Arabia, is going to shake you to your core. I'm going to oversell this film, so please take that into consideration—it may not be for you at all. But I loved it. It took me to places I haven't been in film in a long time: to the core of my soul, trembling like a child.

I've written for film, and television, so I tend to both watch and study what I see. I break it apart into acts. I actually visualize the dialogue as written text as it's being spoken. It's a curse and a blessing. A blessing because I hope it makes me a better writer. A curse because I seldom get so carried away by a film that I'm not in this study phase.

Until The Kingdom. My comment to my wife on the way out of the theater: "I think I held my breath for the last twenty minutes. I don't remember breathing." At the twenty minute mark, nearing the end of the all important first act (of three) my wife leaned over and whispered, "I don't know if I can take this. It's so real." What she meant is it's so "right now." At first you're not sure if you're watching a film or CNN.

The movie opens with a snapshot history of Saudi Arabia's role in the Middle East that is so well laid out I would recommend the film for this alone. Your jaw drops as the narrator walks you through what you already know, or have heard a dozen times. But seeing it all strung together into a collage of missteps, a concise history of the West's bungling, is painful to your chest. Your eyes well. I think this may be where you stop breathing—with only two hours to go.

Jamie Foxx's participation concerned me when I saw the trailer, months ago. Didn't he just do Jarhead? Haven't we seen enough of Jamie in the desert? Nope. Nowhere near enough, as it turns out. The story isn't what I thought it might be given the trailer. It turns out it's an emotionally-charged, adrenaline laden, electrical shock treatment disguised as motion picture. Foxx's performance will put him on the same list as Brad Pitt come February. And Jennifer Garner! Who knew? I was such an Alias fan (on DVD, first season especially), and I reeled with Catch And Release and feared she was succumbing to big dollars for small films, the way many TV actors seem to go. But not Jen! She stands up in this movie, rid of all cliché, despite dialogue and situations that could reek of it, and lathers the screen with a deep remorse for things past, and a devil-may-care bare-it-all attitude toward the future.

But it is also the filmmaking that wows you. This film is as contemporary as Jesse James is antiquated. That they both work, and can go head to head in the same season speaks of Hollywood's diversity and artistic prowess. We are getting treated to directors who know their crafts and studios willing to let them do their best work. It's a great time to be a movie go-er, and if The Kingdom isn't at the top of your list this fall, then you're the poorer for it: You've never seen anything like it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Dwight's Writing Manifesto said...

Good to know.

I swear they have been running the trailers for ten months now. I assumed this was a bad portent.

Perhaps the studio was merely waiting for a weekend when they could own the box office.

11:25 AM  
Blogger inksmudge said...

Ok I guess I've been missing out here...I didn't know Ridley was doing movie reviews--and quite passionately I might add! I rarely go to see a movie but you better believe I'll go outta my way to see this one. First of all because I respect your opinion and most importantly because what you wrote made me want to see it. Thanks Ridley.

Inksmudge

12:11 AM  
Blogger Ridley said...

I love film.
I'm going to review Kite Runner next.
I see a special preview on Thursday.
Ridley

7:09 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

YOU WROTE:

It took me to places I haven't been in film in a long time: to the core of my soul, trembling like a child.

THATS THE KINDA OF MOVIE I LOVE TO SEE!!!

ANY CHANCE IT'S OK FOR 12 YEAR OLDS? HE REALLY LIKED 300 AND THAT WAS BLOODY OF THE EPIC TYPE

11:56 AM  
Blogger Ridley said...

It's a VERY tough film for a 12 year old. I would vote against that.
Ridley

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Can you review the 3:10 cowboy movie as well? it's yuma not a book in the bible with that australian guy from gladiator!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Ridley, don't you think The Kingdom was a bit too 'Rah, rah, America'? Don't get me wrong, Rah- Rah is great to be and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I think if I want to see Rah-Rah, I would rather watch the real thing - like PBSs 'The War by Ken Burns'.

P.S. They STILL haven't released the Jesse James movie here in Miami. Don't know what they are waiting for.

P.P.S. I also would be interested to hear what you have to say about 3:10 to Yuma. I saw it and would like to see what you thought.

Carol

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ridley said...

I liked 3:10 to Yuma, though the ending disappointed me. I hated to see him die.

And yes, The Kingdom was heavily American, but I felt it was powerful.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Ridley, I am looking forward to seeing "Gone Baby Gone" this weekend. I loved the Lehane series and am hopeful the movie is as good as the New York Times review indicated. Are you planning on seeing it? I would love to read your review.

Dean, Are you out there? I'm sure you'll be glued to the TV tonight. Josh Beckett is amazing. Cleveland has looked pretty good, but you can never count Manny, David and the boys out! I'll be pulling for the Colorado Rockies no matter who they end up playing. What a great story.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Finally, finally saw Jesse James. It just came out in Miami a week ago and only at 1 theater. I agree with your review, Ridley, it was great. Wonderful acting, beautiful cinematography, just a bit long. Pitt did a great job with Jesse's quiet menace, but I think the star goes to Affleck's protrayal of assassin Ford.

I see one of your fellow Rockbottom Remainders, Stephen King, has a new movie 'The Mist' coming out. The story the movie is based on scared the you-know-what out of me. Are you going to review it?

Carol

11:45 AM  
Blogger Ridley said...

If I can bring myself to watch it!

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home