ridley pearson

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Drive

Returning from holiday in Idaho, (we drive because of our dog, Cairo) our family set out in our 4 wheel drive for Denver, believing they just might get I-70 reopened. Since we normally take I-80 we kept our eye on Wyoming (closed the day before) and with it reopening, went the northern route. We knew we couldn't drop down to Denver from Cheyene, our usual route, so we stayed with the trucks on 80 and headed east, reaching North Platte for dinner and a much needed overnight. We awoke to 1" of frozen rain on I-80 and drove the next 120 miles in a little over 7 hours. Crazy roads. We bailed, and headed south to Salina, KS, driving over what behaved like broken concrete for the next 3 hours. Reaching a rainy I-70 was heaven! 7 more hours and we were home in St. Louis. What a trip!

The only thing that saved us was a Christmas gift to ourselves of Sirius radio. Phenomenal entertainment experience. As Marcelle, Paige and I listed to Eragon on my i-Pod, our youngest bopped to Disney Radio for nearly 6 hours of the drive. Then I caught the Rams live in the last game of the season.

We're home safe and sound, but I'm two thumbs up on Sirius. If you haven't tried satellite radio... wow... there's a BIG difference.

R

PS: just finished Devil in the White City. What a read! I have Jeff Parker's next on my reading table: Storm Runners. Jeff is one of the best out there. RP

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say Cairo is a truly loved dog...as it should be! Way to go, safe driver(s). Thumbs up on that safe and sound return home!

9:47 PM  
Blogger inksmudge said...

Happy to hear you made it back home safe and sound. Family road trips are a blast but I've never done it in wet or cold weather! However you have intrigued me with your endorsement of Sirius radio. Please remember that I am the anti-technogeek. What is so different about satellite radio? Does it play music and talk shows? Whats so special about it? What am I missing out on?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Glad you are safe and sound. I just bought a new car and it came with XM radio. So far haven't really used it, but am anxious to try it out when baseball season starts. I also want to say thanks for the heads up about "naked authors".

I am just starting James Grippando's "Beyond Suspicion" after finishing Iles "True Evil". Memo to Mrs. Iles- Never let hubby take the baby sitter home( see Turning Angel) , and I'd definitely start sleeping with one eye open!

Oh, and what are the chances that someone could write two separate books and manage to use "anal" anything as part of the plot in both of them? LOL. Turns out, pretty good if you're Mr. Iles.

Point is Ridley, I still love you best, and am waiting patiently (the patiently part's a lie) for "Killer Weekend". Your characters never preach or pontificate to explain background information or a point of view. Thanks for that.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Happy 2007 everybody! I wish you all the best of health and joy in family and friends!

Ridley, glad you all got home safely.

P.S. Heidi? The XML syndication feed is only going to Wild Ride again. I wondered why I wasn't getting Prime Crime entries...is it fixable, or have you changed the feed??

12:19 PM  
Blogger Ridley said...

Is that because Google bought the blog site? Maybe your registration needs to change...
Ridley

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home